Saturday, October 1, 2011

What's With the Name?!

Welcome to my blog friends and family! Motivated by my wonderful husband Mick, I am finally getting started in the blogosphere. The name "Dink Think" comes from my childhood. My dad nicknamed me Dink because I was so tiny (well, when I was a kid). My brothers and sisters caught on and made up rhymes to go with it. "Dinker, Dinker, Dinker let a little stinker." I was not a fan! I hated them calling me Dink, but I didn't mind being called that by my dad. That made me feel special. Now it makes me feel skinny;-)

Dad always said "do your own thinking." He was immensely bothered by the sheep mentality; that tendency of many people to follow the crowd. It's a sort of mindless way of going through life without giving any real thought to what it is you are doing. For example, it could show itself in a person's compulsion to vote for a candidate with the best slogan, without ever looking into what the candidate really believes in (I won't mention any names... for now). Or it could mean following the latest fad or trend just because everyone else is "doing it,"without examining its real virtue (i.e. wearing the latest clothing style or obsessing over the latest "Twilight" novel).


Well, I'm a chip off the old block. Not only does that mean I try always to "do my own thinking." It also means I'm pretty strongly opinionated. If you like reading only those things you agree with, you may be disappointed in my blog. In general, if the majority of people are doing it or thinking it, its likely I'll be the one with the opposing view. Think "Point/Counterpoint." I'm Harry Reasoner. You might be Mike Wallace, or Morley Safer. I hope to write about lots of things that interest me from raising kids, to cooking (and eating), to politics and religion. I'll tackle the latest trends in entertainment and religion, but I'll also make an attempt to write some lighter fare.

I invite you to come along on a journey into the mind of the "Dink."Your comments and opinions are welcome here.

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Honey. Glad you liked my idea of joining the Blogosphere.

    I love you Immensely!
    xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete