Saturday, October 29, 2011

"Piggy" Update

The battle rages on! Over the last few weeks, since I committed to losing weight, I've lost 7 pounds, gained 5, lost 3, gained 4...  I can hardly call it a victory so far, but I have made some positive changes and learned a few things along the way.

First, I learned to stay away from the scale as much as possible. It is easy to get discouraged when you feel you've been doing well on your diet only to find, after checking the scales, you've actually gained a pound. It is better to work on small changes in your exercise and eating habits and to work on making those changes permanent.

Secondly, I've found I do better when I allow myself the occasional indulgence. I love the ham and swiss on croissant from my sister Terri's restaurant, "Classics Cafe." I allow myself the half sandwich/cup of soup combo along with her small helping of cole slaw. It probably isn't the lowest calorie meal I could have, but it is very satisfying and it fills me up nicely. Then I can enjoy a lighter dinner because I'm still pretty satisfied when supper rolls around.

I can feel pretty guilt free about my delicious and satisfying lunch after I've walked 3 - 4 miles on the treadmill. Monday through Friday, I've teamed up with my mom to work out at the local community center gym. We meet each morning at 10 am and chat while we walk beside each other on treadmills. My weight may not be falling off, but I'm enjoying the benefits of starting my day with a nice visit with mom and I'm finding I have quite a bit more energy after a good workout!

Weekends are a challenge. With my family home from work and school I tend to want to "veg" and enjoy their company. And that often translates into eating! Either I'm making us all an over-indulgent meal or we're going out to dinner and I'm making some very bad choices. On the weekends I'm out of my daily eating and exercising routine, too. I can easily lose a few pounds during the week only to gain them back over the weekend!

Of course, I know what needs to be done. The secret here is to work on making and eating healthier meals for myself and my family over the weekends. We need to get back to spending our family time together doing active things like going on family bike rides. Unfortunately, they all love being lazy (like me) after long, busy weeks at work and school. Gotta work on motivating all of us to get moving! Ugghh! With winter coming we have more of an excuse to eat and veg! I'm hanging in there... the cruise is just over 8 months away and I'm just getting started!

1 comment:

  1. I am truly pleased to read this blog posts which includes plenty of helpful information, thanks for providing these kinds of
    data.

    Feel free to visit my homepage ... use this link

    ReplyDelete